Saturday, August 25, 2012

Rock & Gem Show

Today I went to a local Rock and Gem show with a friend.  While I went with no money in hand (for the intention of not giving myself an easy out to spend money!), I was still able to participate in a free crafting class.  I'm not sure, but I may go back tomorrow again to participate in the other two classes (creating a pendant out of a rock/shell/gem using wire and butterflies).  Today we made rock trees!  I'm thinking I could probably alter these to use with my kids in school...whether using pipe cleaners and beads with younger students, or doing these basic trees in my art club after school!
Step 1:  Cut 9 wires 15" long and twist like such using a hook tool.

Step 2:  Put all your wires together and twist the loose ends until you have about 1 1/2" left.

Step 3:  Split your ends into three sections of 6 wires and twist these together.

Step 4:  Using flat nosed pliers, get your roots to lay flat against your base of choice and glue into place.

Step 5:  The gentleman teaching us had us glue some extra stones on the base, just in case we lost any later off of our tree limbs.

Step 6:  Flatten out your tree branches.

Step 7:  Glue on your stones!

\
Step 8:  When I got home and it dried, I bent my trunk and branches a little.  Reminds me of a bonsai tree!

Here are some really awesome looking wire and stone trees one of the vendors was selling!  They are amazing!

Hmmmm, I'm feeling a new crafty hobby coming on for this years Christmas presents!!!

2 comments:

  1. Aren't these beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cool project! And it was a FREE class! Gotta love that! :)

    ReplyDelete