Thursday, October 25, 2012

Chihuly Sculptures-2nd Grade

Whoo! There are finally done! We have spent 4 class periods on there...2 Ti color and 2 cutting and melting ad gluing each student's sculpture together! The pictures definitely don't do them justice...

Here's what we did:
1. We drew a large organic shape and colored it using right colors and patterns like Chihuly.
2. On a second piece of Shrinky Dibk, we drew 4-5 lines to make strips and we drew a smaller organic shape. Then we colored them in as well.
3. I called students up one at a time to melt their sculpture and glue them together. I ran the heat gun and glue gun, but when we glued them together, I had individual conversations with students about placement and composition in the sculptures.

Finally onto the next project! (I am posting this from my phone do pardon my pictures if the are out of order...I will link my site reference when I get home from school and have access to Pinterest!)

6 comments:

  1. i LOVE working with shrinky dink materials! i'm hesitant to use them in class due to time management concerns, but ill have to try it after seeing these:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is actually the first time I've every used shrinky dink plastic...

      Time management was a problem as well with this project because it took so long to finish since I couldn't let the kids use the heat gun or glue gun. They really enjoyed the results but I think this will definitely be more of an after school project for art club. Maybe with a little experimentation with alcohol ink instead of markers...

      Delete
  2. These look awesome! The kids must have really enjoyed the results! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun project! Did you need to use permanent markers to get those vibrant colors, or would washable markers work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we used Sharpies for this. I wouldn't use washable markers (in fact, I think it states on the Shrinky Dink wrapper not to use washable, but I may be wrong) because the marker would be more likely to melt and run when you heat the plastic. The packaging does say that you can use certain types of paints, but I haven't tried paint yet.

      Delete
  4. Love this project. Also want to let you know that I used acrylic decorative paints for handprints on the shrinky dinks. I found it interesting because the paint does not fully shrink so if forms a texture which was really cool. It is opaque when it is finished.

    ReplyDelete