Monday, October 1, 2012

Marzano and Art...Tracking Student Progress

As part of our APPR agreement, our district chose Marzano as our assessment rubric for teacher observations.  One of the ways we can "score points" towards our score is to take Marzano's self-assessment of our skills using his rubric, and then create goals based on the domains, which brings me to my question for this post.

I think the concept that I am having the hardest time incorporating into my art room is his idea of "tracking student progress."  Marzano wants us to somehow graph student progress so that they can see when they are improving, thus giving them more self-confidence.  He suggests having students do this in their personal binders/notebooks (easier to do in the regular classroom, I feel, where they have these things) or somehow have a coded graph of some sort visible in the classroom so students can see how they are doing.

I am having the HARDEST time coming up with a way to have my students track their own progress in art!  I don't do sketchbooks or homework with them (and homework is another one of the grading points on Marzano...I'm going to push that asking students to bring in egg cartons, bottle caps, pringles cans, etc. is appropriate homework for art!).  Does anyone have ANY ideas on how to do this?  Or, any examples on how you already do this?

So far, I'm at a loss on how to do this effectively, efficiently and quickly, without losing too much of my previous 40 minutes with students!  I'm also having a hard time grasping how I can possible do this when I may only do two or three projects per unit tops...it's not like I give up five homework assignments on addition, where it would be easier for students to graph and see that they improve from the 1st assignment to the 5th assignment.  Granted, I tried to build my units on top of each other, but how in the world can I show that on a graph for students to figure out?

Hmph!

5 comments:

  1. We just had an overview of our new evaluation system today at our faculty meeting. I had to go look at my folder to see if it was the same as yours but we are using Danielson and the software is Teachscape. The domains are very similar to what we are currently using with a few differences. We get scores of 1-4 with level 4 being the highest. It is a testing it out year for us and we are to look at and refer to the different domains and the examples of how achieve the critical attributes for levels 3 and 4 to help us assess what we are doing and not doing in our teaching. we don't need to keep a graph of student progress. We are tracking student progress by the assessments we are using. Sorry I can't be of any help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks anyways! My school is one of only two or three in the county who chose Marzano. I suppose if I don't have the kids graph their progress, it shouldn't hurt my score because there are about 60 other places to get points...but it's starting to bug me! There has got to be a simple way to do it!

      Delete
  2. I teach K-3 at a Primary school and we are using Marzano as well this year. I have found that a common rubric in my school in the regular classrooms is a smiley face rating scale: Happy face= got it, In-between face= a little help, please, and a Sad face= No Idea what's going on. In the Art classroom, I have the students self assess at the end of every class with one of these faces drawn on a piece of paper on their way out the door, just so I have a general idea about where the class as a whole is. At the end of each project, I have them draw the face for the project as a whole on the back of their artwork so I can see individual student progress. Hope this helps you a bit:) I would love to hear what you have been doing since you did this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like that idea. I found a variety of photoshoped Mona Lisas to create that scale with. I have 0-4 and those Monas coincide with the smileys I use on my grading rubrics. I was just having the kids show me on their fingers using 0-4 their level of understanding, but I like your idea better. In my last observation, my superintendent told me I needed to start thinking about a way to do formal assessments where the students give me feedback on their own projects for next year. Your way would work really well! "Tell me using the Mona scale how you feel you're doing on your project..."

      Delete
  3. I keep track with a TEACHER CHECK LIST that I created in Word. I display the check list on the white board at the beginning of the class. As I take attendance, the students can see their progress from the week before. A solid green box, means they are on task. A white box means they are not on task. I also have CODES that I write in the box when needed. So far it is working. How to I upload the file?

    ReplyDelete