Sunday, October 14, 2012

Rubrics Galore!

Well, on this dreary, rainy day in the North Country, I've sat down to finish my plans for this week.  In doing so, I created some rubrics for my up and coming projects that I figured I would share with you!  I'm sure that in time, over the years that I use these, they will be altered to my needs, but here is what I will be giving the students to see how I will be grading them.

First of all, I have altered my generic rubrics for K-2 since I last shared it and I think I have finalized it.  I have been using it to grade my projects such as the Primary Lines, Secondary Shapes, Rainbow Kandinsky and the Roy G. Biv collages and it seems to be working well!

This next rubric is one I created during the week for my current 6th grade project, Day of the Dead skeleton masks.  
I am going to have my 6th graders fill this rubric out, questions and all, on their own once finished with their project and then I will use the same rubric to give my grade.  Since this is the first time I am using these rubrics to grade them, I want them to be able to see if we are on the same page with their artwork. This will also give them a way to write me a reflection after I hand these back with their grades.




Next year, I think I will try the tinfoil trick to make these more skull shaped!  They still look pretty good...these guys will get one more day. I especially love the green one with the yellow cross...the student gave him a gold tooth!

This next rubric is for the next project my 3rd graders will be doing.  We just finished up with our birch trees, and now we are going to move onto talking about texture in drawings and in sculpture.  Last class, I gave them the drawing assignment to draw a house with texture, adding in that it could be a haunted house if they'd like, since it's getting close to Halloween.  I do have a student in 3rd grade who is  Jahovah's Witness, so I can't really do specific holiday projects, but I like to try and give students projects that they can make into holiday projects should they decide to around the holidays.  Anyways, I allowed the students to use texture rubbing plates for their drawing and next class we will finish those and then talk about the different textures used. 

Then, we will look at real pictures of houses and I will introduce the final project.  I did this project last year and it was a big hit.  We will be making stuffed paper bag houses, again with the option of creating a haunted house.  I won't let students use the rubbing plates for the sculpture part, however.  Instead, we will talk about creating the illusion of texture by using lines and shapes (bricks, siding, cobblestone, etc.) and we will talk about creating actual texture by using different materials (cotton, pom poms, pipe cleaners, smooth paper versus crumpled paper, etc.).  Here is the rubric I will be presenting to them for the house sculpture project:

The last rubric I created this weekend is for my 5th grader's color wheel project.  We are currently in the process of drawing, cutting out and tracing 12 designs to paint the primary, secondary and tertiary colors.  This year, I will also be having the kids add a flare to their design by painting each color's complement as well.

Student will also have to answer five questions about the colors they learned, as part of their grade.





4 comments:

  1. How do you determine which rubric to use when? For example, I see that you are making up a lot of project specific rubrics, yet you also shared your general rubric. What types of projects would you use the general rubric vs the specific one for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have actually abandoned the generic rubric at this point. I still use it as my starting template. Originally, I thought it would take too much time to make a specific rubric for each project, but then I started finding that I didn't like the fact that the generic rubric simply said "understood new concept:". I had to write in the concept on each rubric, which was taking more time. So, I use the generic rubric as my starting template. Every rubric I create has craftsmanship, creativity, signed name, and composition on it. Usually, for the younger students, using art materials correctly and used time wisely is also always included. Then, I just quickly retype what the specific learning goals or concepts were into the other slots, save and print!

      Delete
  2. These are great. Do you have the top rubric as an editable document you could share?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would also like a copy of these to start my own. I tried to print, but the pages get cut off in the printing. Is there any way you could share these? Or share to my email address? tammy.zimmerman@morgan.k12.co.us Thank you!

    ReplyDelete