Thursday, September 19, 2013

Studio Art: Unit 1 Complete!

Today we had the unit quiz (I'm calling them quizzes because I want the projects to be more important to the kids then the tests) for the first unit in Studio Art.  Look back at this previous post to see my unit overview and the unit infographic project here...


When the previous art teacher ordered sketchbooks from our Boces bids, they sent us these little 5"x7" sketchbooks...and not of the best quality either.  It's always hit or miss on those Boces bids as to whether or not you actually get what you ordered!  The students have already complained that they're too small, and pages are already falling out, even though we've only technically had one sketch assignment!  
Anyways, I had the students put a Table of Contents into their sketchbooks so that it's easier for me to do "sketchbook checks" to make sure they are keeping up with bell ringers and sketch homework.  (And, ironically, the one student sketchbook I took a picture of has their page numbers wrong already!)

For the Studio Art's first sketchbook assignment, I gave them a non-objective line drawing (the above drawing is mine).  Since we were talking about the elements, and line is one of the most important elements, I figured this was fitting.  Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time on my mind to get a generic rubric created for their sketchbooks (since tonight is open house, I'll probably have plenty of time to get that done today!).  Like my zentangle students, I was extremely happy when a few students came in and said they did more than one because they had fun with them!  These are some of the really strong ones that were turned in.  Our critique turned into me giving students my guidelines that a sketch assignment should have at least an hour spent on it (which shouldn't be a big deal since they get them on the weekends).

The last thing we learned about in this unit was the credit line that is always under an artwork that is published in a textbook, in a museum, etc.  For their last exit slip, I had students create a credit line for their non-objective line sketch and stick the Post-It note in their sketchbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment